Tuesday, August 19, 2008

blackberry cobbler recipe


I've had a couple of requests for this recipe, so I thought I share it here in case anyone else was interested. My husband found this recipe online from About.com in the southern food section...and it was delicious. We made it using 100% wild blackberries, so if you have cultivated ones that are even more 'perfect' then it'll probably been even better! (my comments in italic)


Blackberry Cobbler


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 cups blackberries, picked over, rinsed & drained
1 cup flour (we used whole wheat pastry flour)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter, cold, cut in small pieces (we used Smart Balance sticks)
1/4 cup boiling water


Preparation: In a large bowl, stir together the cornstarch and 1/4 cup cold water until cornstarch is completely dissolved. Add 1 cup sugar, lemon juice, and blackberries; combine gently. Transfer to a cast iron skillet, about 8-inch. (we used a stainless, oven-proof casserole pan)

In a bowl, combine the flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, and salt. Blend in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 1/4 cup boiling water and stir the mixture just until it a soft dough is formed.

Bring the blackberry mixture to a boil, stirring. Drop spoonfuls of the dough carefully onto the boiling mixture, and bake the cobbler on a baking sheet (line with foil to avoid a mess) in the middle of a preheated 400° oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the topping is golden. Serve warm with vanilla (goats milk) ice cream or whipped cream.


Oh, and as an update: the blackberry jam was WONDERFUL!! It's so incredibly delicious - all I want to eat is jam on bread...all day long! ;-)

The recipe for that was super easy. 5 cups of crushed blackberries (5 cups after washing & crushing), 7 cups of sugar & 1 packet of certo pectin. I followed the recipe that came with the pectin and it turned out perfectly! My only additional note was that I got a 1/2 pint extra than the recipe said I would (luckily, I'd sterilized an extra jar, just in case).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm ready to fly out just to sample some.....Those blackberry's alone look gorgeous

Cat said...

You are welcome any time! Though I must warn everyone that our house is still a disaster area on the inside (maybe I should post photos?). We could certainly use the help picking the blackberries, though...and the apples...and the pears...