Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Banana Nut Stuffed French Toast

Quite a few years ago, my mom received a CD-rom with Williams-Sonoma recipes on it as a gift. As I remember it, it was pretty cool because you could search for recipes based on the ingredients (like if you had a bunch of apples to use). Of course, these days, the internet serves the same basic purpose on a much larger scale. The problem with the internet searches is that unless you know the source of the recipe, you have no idea if it's going to be any good or not. With this Williams-Somona database - odds were, it was going to be delicious. I don't know if they still do it (I no longer receive WS catalogs), but they used to picture gourmet food with recipes in their catalog. I guess the idea was that if you needed a big roasting pan, or a special griddle, or a dutch oven, in which to cook the item, you'd be more apt to buy it if you were tempted by gorgeous food! I used to cut out the occasional recipe and I've still got them tucked away in my personal recipe cookbook for future use. I also happened to print out about 15 - 20 recipes from my mom's CD more than 10 years ago and I've been carrying them around with me from house to house. Until recently, I'd never used a single one! It was just one of these such recipes that I pulled out a couple of weekends ago to try for breakfast. I had a few bananas that were past their prime (and for picky me, that means brown spots of any kind!!) just waiting for a good opportunity to use them.

It was easy to assemble, simple to cook, and absolutely delicious to eat! The only downfall was the fact that the most important ingredient is one that pretty much cannot be local to me. If you live in the tropics, grow your own bananas and then give this a try!

The whole recipe serves 4, but I did half a recipe for the two of us and it was plenty of food.

Ingredients:
6 eggs
1/4 cup milk
4 very ripe small bananas
1/4 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts (I used pecans since that's what I had in the pantry)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
8 slices egg bread (I used whole wheat)
4 T unsalted butter (I used half this amount with good results)

Beat eggs until frothy and then stir in the milk. Pour into a shallow bowl or pan that is larger than the bread slices you are using.

Mash bananas into a small bowl. Mix in nuts and nutmeg. Spread it evenly over half the bread slices leaving a 1/4 inch border uncovered on all edges. Top with the remaining bread slices and press down gently to seal.

Place sandwiches in egg mixture and turn until evenly saturated on both sides.

In a pan or griddle big enough to hold all sandwiches, melt half the butter over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and fry until the underside is golden brown. Add the remaining butter (broken into pieces) to the pan and flip the sandwiches over onto the newly melted butter. Fry until golden brown.

Serve hot, dusted with confectioners sugar if you like. Excellent with warm maple syrup!

Unfortunately, I didn't think to take photos. I'm planning on making this one again in the near future. When I do, I'll take pictures!

No comments: